The Harvey CDAN is a group of people living in and around Harvey and surrounding areas who meet monthly to share stories and advocate for local people with disability. The group hosted the Harvey Accessible Highway Expo in November 2023 and hopes to make this an annual event. The goals of the Expo were to change local mindsets about disability and attract more disability related services to the area. The first Expo was a great success with hundreds of locals coming out to enjoy a great day with guest speakers, free entertainment and children’s activities. As well as making this an annual event, the Harvey CDAN hopes to assist other CDAN networks to host similar events.
Harvey Accessible Highway Expo on Saturday 4 November:
- 400 people visited the Expo
- 25 organisations who provide services to people with disability exhibited at the Expo
- 10 market traders attended, many selling items targeted to people with disability
- 6 guest speakers delivered 30-minute sessions on subjects including neurodiversity, men’s health, accessing disability support pension, navigating the NDIS and inspiring stories about living with disability
- 10 young people with disability volunteered as traffic marshalls, barbecue helpers, musicians and assistance with set-up and pull down